The last thing you want to happen while traveling for business is to struggle with the side effects of jet lag. You have a set schedule of things that you need to get done while on your business trip, and unfortunately, jet lag can get in the way of completing these tasks efficiently.
Luckily, we’ve found some excellent tips, tricks, and products to help you minimize jet lag as much as possible while away on business. We hope that reading this article will help you find some ways that will personally help you reduce the side effects of jet lag while away.
Why Jet Lag Occurs
Jet lag is a very common side effect of traveling internationally, and it typically occurs when you cross two or more time zones. When you travel two or more time zones, your circadian rhythm can be thrown off, which can disrupt your sleep and make you feel not like yourself.
Symptoms of Jet Lag
If you’ve ever experienced jet lag, you know it can make your whole body and mind feel out of whack. Some common symptoms of jet lag include:
- Difficulty sleeping
- Concentration problems
- Stomach issues
- Mood changes
If you’ve traveled far for business and have experienced one or more of these symptoms, you were probably suffering from jet lag.
Tips and Tricks to Minimize Jet Lag
If you’re on a business trip and feel like jet lag is bringing you down, there are some things that you can do to try and minimize your symptoms. Here are ten tips and tricks that we recommend trying:
- Make sure that your hotel room is set to a cool temperature and that you have comfortable pillows and blankets
- Drink plenty of water throughout your flight
- Try to sleep while on your flight
- Avoid drinking anything that will dehydrate you while flying (caffeine, alcohol, etc.)
- Fly in the day before you have any meetings or events so that you can adjust to your new time zone
- Avoid eating greasy meals and focus on eating healthy in the days leading up to your flight
- Use a sleep mask and earplugs when sleeping at your hotel
- Get outside and get some sunlight
- Stay awake in your new destination until you reach an appropriate time for sleep
- Avoid taking naps when you first arrive at your destination
Products That Can Help Minimize Jet Lag
There are actually many products out there that were created to help reduce the effects of jet lag. Though there’s a substantial amount of products out there, here are five of our favorites for you to try out:
- Sleep Headphones: These headphones allow you to block out all light while listening to soothing music simultaneously.
- Reusable Water Bottle: Stay hydrated no matter where you are with this reusable water bottle.
- Ear Plugs: Block out noise while sleeping on the plane or in your hotel using these ear plugs.
- Cooling Pillowcase: Take this pillowcase with you on your business trip to ensure you get a good sleep.
- Sleepytime Tea: Relax and unwind at the end of a long day of meetings with this tea.
Jet lag can really put a damper on your business travels. But if you use some of these tips, tricks, and products above, hopefully, you’ll be able to minimize the side effects.
If you’re traveling internationally for an upcoming business trip and need a passport or business visa, we can help! You can start the passport or visa application process on the Swift website. If you have any questions along the way, please contact a member of our team. No matter where you’re going in the world, we’ll get you there!