You particularly enjoy your business trips when they send you overseas, but you could certainly do without wasting your time in the excruciating customs lines upon your return. You’re in luck, as there is a way to bypass lines for customs when you’re coming back into the U.S.
Say hello to the Global Entry program.
What Global Entry Is
Run by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Global Entry is a program that lets you skip the lengthy customs lines and instead re-enter the U.S. using automated kiosks at the wide range of participating airports.
You head to the kiosk to scan your passport, scan your fingerprints for verification, and complete a customs declaration. The kiosk then prints you a receipt and directs you to your baggage claim and exit.
Travelers require pre-approval into the program, which involves a background check and in-person appointment to ensure you are a low-risk traveler.
You can start the approval process by filling out an online application.
Once your application is approved, you’ll be notified to schedule your in-person interview. You’ll then again be notified of your acceptance into the program.
Is Global Entry Worth It?
Those who ask “Is Global Entry worth it?” will be met with a resounding “Yes!” if any of the following apply.
- You’re not fond of waiting in the long, slow customs lines
- You travel overseas often, either for business, pleasure, or both
- Your expected foreign travel schedule is frequent enough to net an ROI on the investment, which is $100 to apply, with acceptance resulting in a five-year membership
- You’re a low-risk traveler, which means you don’t have a criminal record or incidents in your background that would deny your acceptance and make you lose your non-refundable application fee
- You’re OK providing your fingerprints and other personal information during the application process
Another Major Global Entry Perk
Although the Global Entry program only applies to travelers entering the U.S., acceptance in the Global Entry program automatically qualifies you for the TSA Pre-Check program.
This is another expedited entry program that applies to all domestic travel. TSA Pre-Check allows travelers to bypass the general security lines at participating airports for a shorter line with a faster security screening process.
One more way to make travel faster and more convenient is to use Swift’s expedited passport or expedited visa services. We’ll handle all the details so you don’t have to.
Feel free to contact us with any questions or for more information. Swift is always happy to help!
Rob Lee is co-founder of Swift Passport and Visa Services. Originally from Michigan, Rob is an avid fisherman and SCUBA diver who enjoys adventure travel.