Fourth of July weekend is one of the busiest travel weekends of the year, and if you’ve ever traveled during this time, you have probably experienced how hectic it can be. Although, traveling during the Fourth of July weekend this year is expected to be busier than ever before, with more than 50 million people predicted to travel 50 miles or more from home. So if you plan on being one of those people traveling, we highly recommend that you plan ahead and know what to expect.
How Many People Will be Traveling Over the Fourth of July Weekend?
The number of people traveling during the Fourth of July weekend is expected to be larger than ever before. In fact, according to AAA, it’s projected that nearly 50.7 million Americans will be traveling 50 miles or more from home during the 4th of July weekend, an increase of more than 2 million people from 2022. The reason that so many people will be traveling this holiday weekend is so that they can see their loved ones and celebrate Independence Day.
How Much Will It Cost to Travel During the Fourth of July Weekend?
Traveling during Independence Day weekend will not be cheap, but thankfully, it will cost you less to fly domestically this Fourth of July weekend than last year. According to Hopper, roundtrip domestic airfare will cost you $300 on average, which is down $100 from last year. If you’re looking to rent a car when you get to your destination during Independence Day weekend, you can expect to pay somewhere around $47 per day, which is 25% less than last year.
Where Will Most People be Traveling to?
Regarding where people will travel during Independence Day weekend, the most popular destinations will include a mix of domestic and international spots. According to Hopper, some of the most booked flight destinations for this 4th of July weekend include:
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Atlanta, Georgia
- New Orleans, Louisiana
- Cancun, Mexico
- Toronto, Canada
- Calgary, Canada
4th of July Travel Tips
If you do plan on traveling this Fourth of July weekend, here are five tips that you can follow to make your travels go as smoothly as possible:
1. Be Patient: Millions of people will be traveling during the upcoming holiday weekend, and you can expect large crowds no matter where you plan on going. Instead of getting upset, do your best to stay calm and be patient. Don’t get flustered and let what’s happening put you in a bad mood. It’s a holiday weekend, and you should have fun and enjoy yourself!
2. Gather All of Your Travel Documents: You should also ensure you have all of the necessary travel documents with you. If you are traveling internationally, you’ll need to ensure that you have your passport and any required visas, and you should also take your driver’s license with you. Furthermore, make copies of all your travel documents, too.
3. Travel on “Slow” Days: Some days will be less busy than others when it comes to traveling over Independence Day weekend. So if you want to try and avoid large crowds at the airport or heavy traffic on the road, try to travel on days that will be slower. If you’ll be driving, June 30th is expected to be the busiest travel day on the roads. But if you plan on flying to your destination, July 2nd is expected to be the busiest day, according to American Airlines.
4. Give Yourself Time: The last thing you want is to feel rushed during a holiday weekend. This is precisely why you should give yourself extra time, especially when it comes to driving to your destination or going to the airport. The roads are going to be busy, and so is the airport. So, give yourself time instead of waiting until the last minute and potentially missing your flight or getting to your destination late.
5. Stay Safe, and Have Fun: Last but not least, make sure that you’re staying safe and having a whole lot of fun. The holidays are a great time to relax and spend time with your loved ones, and it’s essential that you take this time to enjoy yourself.
From all of us at Swift Passport and Visa Services, Happy Independence Day!