Summer travel is expected to be extremely busy this year, with more people predicted to travel than in years past. So if you haven’t made your summer travel plans yet, you’ll want to make them as soon as possible or risk missing out on the fun. Furthermore, if you plan on traveling internationally, you’ll want to ensure that your passport is up to date, as processing times are still taking longer than usual.
How Many People Are Expected to Travel This Summer?
According to SILive, almost 220 million Americans plan to take at least one trip this summer, which is equal to about 85% of American adults. This is an increase of 46 million travelers from 2021 and an increase of nearly 11 million travelers from 2022. The cause of this increase is due mainly in part to people still wanting to revenge travel after the coronavirus pandemic.
How Expensive is Summer Travel in 2023?
With high demand for travel and rising inflation, summer travel will be pricey. This is especially true when it comes to transportation, lodging, and food costs. According to CBS News, vacation rental nightly rates are up 4% from 2022, car rental costs are up 43% from 2019, domestic airfare costs will be up 10% from 2019, and purchasing food away from home is up 23% from 2019. So if you plan on traveling this summer, be prepared to pay more than you have in previous years.
What Are Some Popular Summer Travel Destinations?
When it comes to popular summer travel destinations, according to SILive, approximately 78% of Americans say that they will be choosing a domestic destination, and less than 25% of Americans say they’ll be traveling internationally. With that said, here are some destinations that will be popular for summer 2023:
- San Francisco, California
- Paris, France
- Toronto, Canada
- London, England
- Boston, Massachusetts
- Orlando, Florida
- San Diego, California
- New York, New York
- Maui, Hawaii
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
When Should I Apply For My New Passport or Passport Renewal?
If you plan on traveling internationally and need to obtain a new passport or passport renewal, apply for your passport as soon as possible. Processing times are delayed, and getting your passport may take longer than usual. If you just realized that your passport is expired and need to renew it before your trip, Swift Passport and Visa Services may be able to help. Check out our Expedited US Passport Renewal page to learn more.
How Can I Get a Passport For My Summer Trip?
To ensure you get your passport in time for your trip, start the application process today on our website. The application is quick and easy to complete, and before you know it, you’ll have your passport in hand. If you have any questions about applying for a new passport or passport renewal, please don’t hesitate to contact a member of our team – we’d be happy to help!
Summer Travel Tips
Here are our top 10 summer travel tips to help you make the most of your trip:
1. Plan your trip early and book flights, accommodations, and activities ahead of time.
2. Make sure that your passport isn’t expired, and if it is, renew it ASAP.
3. Visit popular tourist attractions in the morning to beat the crowds.
4. Cook in whenever possible to save some money.
5. Bring a lightweight jacket so that you’re prepared if it gets chilly outside.
6. Pack sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses to protect yourself from harmful UV rays.
7. Stay hydrated by carrying around a reusable water bottle with you.
8. Consider purchasing travel insurance, especially if you are going on an expensive trip.
9. If you plan on driving, map out your route so that you know where you’re going ahead of time.
10. Take some time to sit back, relax, and enjoy your vacation!