The 2022 holiday travel season is upon us, which means one thing… millions of people are preparing to visit their friends and family. Security lines at the airport will be busier than usual, road traffic will increase significantly, and your patience will have to be at an all-time high (we know this is sometimes easier said than done). Traveling during this time of year can be incredibly hectic, and it’s important that you know what to expect so that you can prepare accordingly.
Nearly Half of All Americans Will Travel This Holiday Season
According to a report from PricewaterhouseCoopers, before the coronavirus pandemic, roughly 33% of Americans traveled during the holidays. But this year, that number is expected to rise significantly, as 47% of Americans say that they plan on traveling during the 2022 holiday travel season. People are ready to make up for lost time and want to travel to see their loved ones, no matter how busy, pricy, and chaotic it may get.
Airport Traffic Expected to Hit the Highest Levels in Years
If you plan on traveling by air this holiday season, know that it will be hectic. Airport traffic is predicted to hit the highest levels in years, with passenger traffic expected to surpass 2019 levels. To give you some insight into exactly how many people this is, according to TIME, 93 million people flew during the 2019 holiday travel season (spanning from Thanksgiving to New Year’s). So, anticipate your chosen airport to be busier than normal, and get there ahead of time to account for those extra-long security lines.
The Cost of Travel Continues to Rise
The demand for travel is up, which means that the cost of travel is continuing to rise. This means that Americans should expect to pay significantly more than they have in years past. According to Hopper, domestic airfare prices are up 22% from Thanksgiving 2019 and up 43% from last Thanksgiving. When it comes to traveling during Christmas, domestic airfare is up 31% from Christmas 2019 and up 39% from last Christmas.
5 Holiday Travel Tips We Swear By
If you plan on traveling this holiday season, we have some tips to help make your trip go as smoothly as possible:
- Get to the Airport Early: It will be busy at the airport, and the security lines will be long. Get to the airport earlier than you usually would to avoid missing your flight.
- Be Patient: Traveling during the holidays can be hectic. Things may go wrong, and the last thing that you want to do is be stressed out. Instead, do your best to stay calm and be patient.
- Check Your Flight Status: Before heading to the airport, check the status of your flight and see if it’s on time, delayed, or canceled. This ensures that you don’t run into any surprises when you get to the airport.
- Get Travel Insurance: Traveling during the holidays can be unpredictable, and there’s a chance that your flight could end up being canceled. Travel insurance can help ensure you don’t end up losing a huge chunk of money.
- Stay Updated on Rules and Restrictions: Keep an eye on the rules and restrictions that your destination has in place so that you know what to expect when you arrive.
At the end of the day, remember that you’re traveling to see your loved ones, and it will all be worth it. If you are traveling internationally this holiday season and need a passport or visa, we can help! You can get the application process started on our website. If you have any questions along the way, please feel free to contact our team. We’d be happy to help! No matter where you plan on going, we’ll get you there!