These common passport problems can throw a wrench in even the most well-thought out travel plans
A lot of things can go wrong with your passport. When you apply for a new passport, it is important to understand what types of problems might keep your application from being approved:
- If you have any missing information on your application, that will often be reason enough to deny your application.
- Writing illegibly on your application can keep your passport from being approved.
- Failure to pay the appropriate fees is another big reason why passport applications are denied.
- You might also be denied if you have a legal issues such as a felony conviction on your record or unpaid child support. The best way to ensure that your application goes through the first time (if you need to travel in 4 weeks or less) is by contacting Swift Passport Services. We can ensure that your application is filled out correctly, helping you get your passport as quickly as possible.
Have a Valid Passport? Still Having Trouble?
Even if you already have a valid US passport, you can still have trouble getting into and out of certain countries. Here is a list of passport problems that are reported frequently:
- Children’s passports expire every five years, not every ten years like adult passports. If you’re traveling with your children, make sure that their passports are still valid before you head to the airport.
- If your passport goes through the washing machine or is damaged in some other way, you’ll want to get a new one. If the page with your photo and information is damaged, many foreign customs officers won’t accept it.
- Some countries require that your passport be valid for at least three months or sometimes six months beyond the date you enter the country. This is true in Greece and Russia, for example. Check with the State Department to find out if the place you’re traveling to requires that your passport be valid for three or six months beyond your stay.
- Many countries require that you have a visa in addition to a passport in order to enter the country. These nations include China, Brazil, India, and Russia. Each country has its own visa requirements, which the team at Swift Passport Services can help you navigate.
- Other countries require that visitors pay a reciprocity fee prior to entering the country. Such countries include Armenia and Argentina.
- In some countries, you will not be permitted to enter unless your passport has at least one full blank page for visa stamps. Keep in mind that the last two pages of your passport that do not say “visa” at the top don’t count.
Help! I Need a Passport!
Whatever your travel plans, SPS can help ensure that you get where you want to go. Contact t us today to learn more about our expedited passport services. If you have a trip right around the corner and you just realized that you need a passport or are facing one of the aforementioned problems, our team can help you get a new passport with ease and with little hassle.
Rob Lee is co-founder of Swift Passport and Visa Services. Originally from Michigan, Rob is an avid fisherman and SCUBA diver who enjoys adventure travel.