• Subscribe to Stay Updated!

    Get our latest posts delivered right to your inbox.

    * indicates required
  • Travel

    So Your Name is Different from your Passport. Now What?

    Maybe you got married, got divorced or otherwise went through a legal name change – but forgot to update your passport during the process. All is not lost. You simply need to apply for a new passport to reflect how your name changed from passport.

    Just how you go about that process depends on how much time has passed since your passport was issued. The US Department of State outlines three different solutions based on when your passport was initially issued.

    Less than 12 Months Ago

    If your passport was issued less than one year ago, you have the easiest solution at hand. You also don’t have to pay any passport or processing fees for standard processing. You do need to submit:

    More than 12 Months Ago

    If your passport is more than one year old, you do have to pay processing fees to receive a new passport. Your solution involves two different options, depending on whether or not you’re eligible to use Form DS-82.

    You can use Form DS-82 if you meet a number of criteria:

    • You can send in your existing passport, which has not been stolen, lost or damaged
    • You were at least 16 years old when your existing passport was issued
    • Your existing passport has the standard 10-year validity period and was issued less than 15 years ago
    • You have proper documentation to prove your name changed from passport

    If you meet all the above criteria, you can apply for a new passport with your name change by submitting:

    Those ineligible to use Form DS-82 must instead visit a passport agency or acceptance facility in person, bringing along:

    The last option is the same as applying for a new passport as if you never had one in the first place. You also don’t need to show your name change document if your ID card already reflects the name change.

    Once your passport is updated to reflect your name change, all you need to do is make sure you have any required visas before you head on your next trip. Swift can help here, too, with an expedited visa service that can often process your visa in as little as one business day.

    We’re also happy to help with any additional questions you may have; contact us today!

    Leave a Comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    Scroll to Top