• Subscribe to Stay Updated!

    Get our latest posts delivered right to your inbox.

    * indicates required
  • How to Replace a Passport Quickly

    How to Replace a Passport Quickly

    Losing your passport before a big trip can be extremely stressful. It’s not always easy to replace a passport fast, but it can be done if you know where to go. If you’re wondering how to replace a passport quickly and you’re currently in the USA, here are three options to consider so you can get back to more exciting matters, like planning your travels.

    Option One:  Swift Passport Services

    Hey, that’s us! As a matter of fact, our team can replace your lost passport in 2 weeks or as little as one business day. By working directly with passport agencies as well as eliminating application mistakes and long lines, we can help you replace your missing passport before your next big trip.

    While you can certainly call us with questions, we encourage you to read through our Emergency Passport Replacement Services page first.  This page details the process and tells you which documents you’ll need:

    • proof of citizenship (limited to an old US passport in good condition), original birth certificate, certified copy of your birth certificate, or naturalization papers and;
    • a valid state ID or driver’s license.

    If you’d like to learn more about our expedited passport services, please call (877) 917-9438.  Our experts will be happy to address your concerns and will walk you through the entire process.

    Option Two:  Regional Passport Agencies

    The federal government has regional passport agencies across the United States that can help you process your passport application more quickly than the post office. By applying for a new passport at one of these agencies, you can get your new passport in about 14 days. However, you’ll need to go in person to the agency to fill out your application, and not every state has a regional passport agency.  If your trip is a week or less away, a regional passport agency cannot help you as you’ll need expedited passport services.

    Option Three: the Post Office

    Perhaps the most inexpensive way to replace a lost passport is by visiting your local post office.  Once there, you’ll need to fill out a new passport application and provide proof of citizenship in order to obtain a replacement passport.  Acceptable proof of citizenship includes your long form birth certificate, naturalization papers, or an expired passport. You’ll also need to bring in a state ID or a driver’s license.  You can find a list of all the materials you will need to bring in to the post office here.

    After you complete the required paperwork, a passport acceptance agent at the post office will “execute” your application by sending your materials to a regional passport agency.  Unfortunately, there isn’t a shortened process for people who have been issued a passport that they simply cannot locate.

    Keep in mind, replacing lost passports at the post office takes 4 to 6 weeks once your application has been submitted. If you’re traveling sooner than that, you may want to consider option two.

    Did You Lose Your Passport Abroad?

    Unfortunately, if you lost your passport while abroad, you’ll need to visit your local US Consulate in order to replace your passport.  Swift can only help people currently within the US.

    Leave a Comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    Scroll to Top