• Subscribe to Stay Updated!

    Get our latest posts delivered right to your inbox.

    * indicates required
  • how to replace lost or stolen passport

    How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Passport

    how to replace lost or stolen passport

    Your flight is booked, your bags are packed – but your passport is nowhere to be found. Dealing with a lost or stolen passport may not be tons of fun, but you also don’t need to panic – you have options! Use the steps below as your handy guide on how to replace a lost or stolen passport, and you can soon be on your way where you need to go.

    Reporting a Lost or Stolen Passport

    Contacting the U.S. government to report your passport lost or stolen is the first step to take as soon as you realize it is missing. The longer your passport is not in your possession, the higher the risk of identity theft. Reporting your passport lost or stolen makes it invalid, which means no one can use it for international travel.

    You have three options for reporting it:

    • Online: Head to the U.S. Passport Applications and Forms page, agree to the terms, then choose the “Report Lost or Stolen” tab on the subsequent page.
    • Mail: Download and fill out form Form DS-64, then mail it to the address on the form.
    • Telephone: Call 1-877-487-2778 to report it stolen. You will fill out and submit Form DS-64 when you apply for your replacement passport.

    Replacing a Lost or Stolen Passport

    You also have a few different options when it comes to replacing your lost or stolen passport, with the best option determined by your current circumstances.

    If you’re already outside of the U.S., you’ll need to contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to obtain a replacement passport.

    If you’re still in the U.S., you’ll need to get your application for a new passport executed by a passport acceptance agent. You’ll be required to bring the agent a batch of documents, including:

    • Proof of U.S. citizenship
    • DS-11 passport application, which you sign in person at your appointment
    • DS-64 form, if you haven’t submitted one already
    • One passport photo
    • Copy of valid photo ID
    • Check made out to the U.S. Department of State to pay government passport fees

    You can submit your documents at the facility if you’re in no rush to receive your replacement passport. Routine passport processing time typically takes four to six weeks.

    If you’re in a hurry, with a departure date set within the next two weeks, you’ll need a faster processing time than the government can provide. While expedited government processing still takes two to three weeks, expedited processing from Swift can be done in as little as one business day.

    For an expedited lost or stolen passport replacement from Swift, head to our lost or stolen passport replacement page and place your order. You’ll still need to make an in-person visit to a passport acceptance agent, bringing along a few additional documents:

    • Proof of departure within two weeks
    • Two original letters of authorization allowing Swift to submit your application on your behalf
    • Photocopy of all materials

    Instead of handing over your documents at the facility, you’ll mail them to Swift, and we’ll start processing as soon as they arrive.

    While dealing with a lost or stolen passport may be a hassle, it doesn’t have to ruin your travel plans. Whether you need your passport in a month or a few days, you have options. Feel free to contact Swift with any additional questions – we’re here to help.

    2 thoughts on “How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Passport”

    Leave a Comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    Scroll to Top